Hipcamp can support you in collecting the appropriate occupancy taxes or goods and services tax (GST) from your bookings. While taxes can be complicated, our tools can help to make this a smoother process!
Here’s how to get started:
- Visit the payouts and taxes tab that is located in your Property settings or under your Payout tab.
- Select 'Yes' to see more options under "Do you want Hipcamp to collect occupancy taxes for you?"
- In this view, you can enter the correct occupancy tax percentage for your state or county and add a name for it. Don’t know what your local tax rate is? Fear not! We can help you look it up.
- If you have more than one camp, you can choose which ones will have the tax rate applied to them.
- Once you have opted in, taxes will be collected for all future bookings for that camp.
When you get a booking:
- You can view the taxes that have been collected from the Hipcamper in your Calendar view.
- The taxes collected will be clearly displayed on each payout in the payout history tab and in your payout summary email.
- The total tax amount will be paid out to you from Hipcamp in addition to your earnings, and it is your responsibility to file a tax return to pay this tax to your state or county.
- Don’t know how to file the tax returns? Don’t worry! We can help you.
You can always return to the payouts and taxes tab in your Property settings or payout tab to make updates to your tax rate if necessary.
The below is an example of a Host that has set up an 11% occupancy tax to be collected on their cabin but not their tent camping site. They will receive a payout of their normal Hipcamp earnings (site price + additional fees) for both camps, but also be paid out an additional 11% tax that is collected from Hipcampers who stay at their cabin. The Host will then file a tax return to pass those funds on to their state or county.