Safety is important! Important for Hosts and important for Hipcampers! Here are some safety topics to consider when listing your property on Hipcamp.
- If you are renting out a room or rooms in a home, ensure that the number of Hipcampers sleeping in each room does not exceed another way: the laws and rules in your area on maximum occupancy limits such as may be in any short term rental ordinance, building, zoning or other laws your building or zoning code’s occupancy limits.
- If Hipcampers are sleeping in tents or other temporary structures, it's important that they abide by the recommendations of the tent's manufacturer with regard to maximum occupancy. In a building, it's common that 2 people should be allowed per bedroom, but your structure may be able to accommodate more. Consider safety and comfort when setting the number of guests you'll allow per site.
- Provide emergency information for Hipcampers, such as local emergency numbers and the nearest hospital, police, and fire departments, as well as your personal emergency contact information. Review this regularly to ensure that the information is up to date.
- All hosts must provide Hipcamp and Hipcampers with the contact information for a local contact person who will be available 24/7 during each reservation, reachable within a 1-hour drive of the property, and able to respond within 60 minutes to complaints. You should provide this person’s contact information not only to Hipcamp and your Hipcampers, but also to neighbors and even local law enforcement, so they know who to contact in the event of a complaint or emergency.
- Ensure any structures on your land are up to code and safely constructed, that they are compliant with occupancy limits (your local government may have guidelines), and that any hazards on your land or in structures are removed or clearly marked.
- Provide information about fire safety and prevention to Hipcampers, such as whether campfires are allowed, how to prepare a campfire pit, and how to extinguish a campfire. You may want to reference a resource such as this.