Camping is regulated differently in every state, county, and city. Do your homework and make sure you’re compliant with all applicable local laws.
Pay Your Taxes
Depending on your local laws, it is possible that you will need to pay taxes on the income you earn through Hipcamp. Here are some taxes that typically apply:
- United States Income Tax
- For calendar years 2021 and prior, the IRS requires that we send 1099-K forms to Hosts who have been paid out over $20,000 and had more than 200 transactions in a calendar year. For calendar year 2022 the IRS has lowered the threshold to $600, meaning a significant number of our hosts will receive 1099-K's. These forms are to be sent by January 31 of the following year.
- It's your responsibility to file your taxes appropriately. Please consult with a personal tax advisor for further guidance.
- See more information here from the IRS website
- United States Hotel/Transient Occupancy Tax
- Many counties and states have an occupancy tax (sometimes called a “bed tax” or “hotel tax”), and it may apply to camping. Hipcamp can help you collect this tax from campers, and it is your responsibility to then pay the taxes to your local county or state.
- Visit this FAQ to learn how to get started.
- Australian National Taxes
Your own tax obligations can vary based on your particular circumstances, so we recommend that you research your obligations or consult a tax professional to get more specific information.
In general, the money you earn as a host on Hipcamp is considered taxable income that may be subject to different taxes like rental tax, income tax, or GST.
- Canadian Taxes
- Your own tax obligations may also vary based on your province and local municipal obligations. We recommend that you research your obligations and consult a tax professional for advice.
- Value Added Tax (VAT)
- Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Business License
Note: Hipcamp is required to collect sales tax for all bookings made at properties within the state of Maine in the amount of 9%. The tax is calculated based upon the listing price including cleaning fees and guest fees for all reservations. More information can be found here.