Responding to reviews is a great way to learn from and build a positive relationship with your guests. Hipcamp allows Hosts to respond publicly and privately to Hipcamper reviews.
You can pick and choose to respond to your most vocal guests, or choose to respond to every review. Remember that your Hipcamp guests are paying customers and contacting them, whether public or private, should be approached with care.
When responding to reviews, keep the following in mind:
- Responses to positive reviews should be a simple thank you to show you care. Don’t over-complicate the message by adding additional offers, mailing lists, etc. If you are thanking someone without providing new information, we recommend sending a private response instead.
- Responses to negative reviews are hard. Take a deep breath, perhaps step away for a period of time before you write your response. Try not to get defensive - get curious instead!
- Remember to be open to feedback, empathetic, and that this is a chance to help the situation, improve the experience you provide as a Host, and maybe even change the reviewer’s perspective.
- Hipcamp guests are human beings with feelings and emotions, just like yourself!
- Keep it simple. A simple thank you for your patronage and feedback can go a long way.
Some further notes on responding to negative reviews: