The health and safety of our community is our top priority during the novel coronavirus outbreak. With that, we’ve created COVID-19 Safety Standards so Hosts can self-certify that they are implementing certain minimum safety-related standards on their properties.
While we expect all Hipcamp Hosts to meet these standards, Hosts who choose to self-certify that they have implemented the following will earn a badge*:
COVID-19 Safety Standards
To unlock your badge, we ask you to:
1. Comply with all national and local laws that may apply to your hosting activity, including health, safety, and travel restrictions. 🏛
We expect that you resume hosting only after any relevant restrictions have been lifted. These may include stay-at-home directives, nonessential travel restrictions, group size restrictions, or short-term rental prohibitions. Be sure to also follow safety directives from your local governing bodies, as the impact of the virus varies by locality.
2. Clean and disinfect any structures and shared amenities before and after all bookings. 🧽
Clean with soap and water, then use a government-recommended disinfectant to help reduce risk. When using a disinfectant, follow the label directions for safe, effective use. Ensure all shared amenities are thoroughly cleaned between uses by different groups.
3. Practice good hygiene. 🚰
Frequently wash or sanitise your hands; avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth; and consider wearing a face mask when in enclosed spaces with Hipcampers or the public.
4. Limit or restrict access to certain high-risk shared amenities. 🍽
Establish a schedule to minimize the number of people using shared amenities at any one time. Close or prohibit access to shared amenities for which you're unable to maintain a proper cleaning schedule.
5. Ensure your property has enough soap or hand sanitiser for all guests. 🧼
Create signage to encourage Hipcampers to regularly wash their hands for at least 20 seconds.
6. Provide a contactless or physically distant check-in process. 📱
Take advantage of Hipcamp’s messaging and text capabilities so guests can arrive directly and independently to their accommodations. Post highly visible and clear signage onsite to guide your guests to their site or lodging. If you’re able to provide contactless check-in, edit your listing and change the booking option from "meet and greet" to "go straight to camp.”
7. Provide clear directions and check-in instructions for guests. 🧭
Make sure your arrival instructions provide all the information your guests need to arrive, check in, and find their pitch, parking spot, or lodging.
8. Update your listing to include expectations for safe camping at your property during COVID-19 📝
Update your listing to explain your health and safety expectations—include what you've done to help make your property safer, as well as what you expect from your guests. It helps to also post these expectations onsite at your property.
9. Cancel or reschedule upcoming bookings if you’re experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have reason to believe you’ve been exposed to COVID-19. 🤒
Please adjust upcoming bookings if you’re displaying symptoms of illness or think you may have been exposed to COVID-19. Review our COVID-related cancellation policies and know that our support team is always here to help with any necessary booking adjustments.
* Self-certification badges indicate that a Hipcamp Host represents that certain minimum safety-related standards relevant to the novel coronavirus pandemic have been implemented at their listing. Badges do not signify independent validation by Hipcamp, or that interactions with such Hosts are safe. Hipcampers and Hosts should be familiar with and follow the recommendations and guidelines prescribed by public health authorities, and use their best judgment about whether to list and stay.