On 11 March, 2020 the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the spread of COVID-19 to be a global pandemic. To support our community, COVID-19 related booking adjustments will fall under our natural disaster policy.
We previously offered no questions asked full Hipcash credits for bookings that were made before the global pandemic was declared. Currently, campers are eligible for a full Hipcash credit for their trip (including the Hipcamp service fee) if they are able to provide a doctor's note, proof of COVID-19 exposure, proof of a positive COVID-19 test result, or show documentation of an official travel advisory that would prevent them from completing their trip. The camper's trip must also have a start date before 1 May 2022. File a support ticket to initiate the process.
If the check-in time has already passed or if the booking is scheduled for after 1 May 2022, the Host's standard cancellation policy will apply. We recognize that this is a rapidly-evolving situation and will revisit this timeline if necessary.
If your Host has reached out to you about needing to cancel due to COVID-19 or other natural disaster, please contact Hipcamp Support so we can help out further.
Other Natural Disaster Cancellations
If a booking needs to be cancelled due to a natural disaster, public health crisis, or other act of nature that will prevent a trip from being safely completed, then the Hipcamper that made the booking is eligible to collect a full Hipcash credit including the Hipcamp service fee. In order to initiate this process, you or your Host will need to get in touch with Hipcamp Support.
The Host will not collect any money for these bookings, regardless of their chosen cancellation policy. Our hope is that by providing a full Hipcash credit, Hipcampers will be able to postpone their trip for a later date.
We may request documentation such as a doctor’s note, travel restriction, or severe weather advisory to have this policy apply.
Please note that non-severe storms or non-severe temperatures do not fall under our Natural Disaster Policy. If you do not want to go on a trip because of the present weather, please speak with your Host directly to see if they are willing to offer a refund or the option of rescheduling your trip.